Hummingbirds

Tuesday 16 March 2010


On such a gorgeous day as this, I thought I'd do a post on hummingbirds. They get to sip nectar from tropical flowers all day and are the only bird to fly backwards - doesn't sound like a bad life to me!
I liked them so much I put one on a card - this is the Anzu Patchwork Hummingbird card.



I love this exuberant illustration from 19th century naturalist Ernst Haeckel

Images: first two photographs - Flavio Cruvinel's photostream on Flickr, Anzu Hummingbird, photo from www.faqs.org, Ernst Haeckel

1 comment:

Zoe Ann Hinds said...

It may interest you to know that a hummingbird will feed between six and eight times per hour, but each time only last for about 30 seconds in length.

Also, the hummingbird must have insects as a part of its diet in addition to nectar. The insects are a source of protein for the hummingbird. Although I do not know the reason for this, it has been proven that a hummingbird will eat more insects on a rainy day then on other days.