Hollywood inspiration

Friday 10 May 2013




I am painting a lot at the moment, and whilst painting I love to put a classic film on in the background. There are some I just never tire of.


Notorious. Cary Grant (Devlin) and Ingrid Bergman (Alicia) make for a sensual pairing. Great spy story with one of the best kisses on film (along with North by Northwest).

Devlin: Don't you need a coat?
Alicia: You'll do


Top Hat. Fred Astaire in top hat and tails, and Ginger Rogers in that ostrich feather dress dancing to the strains of Irving Berlin. Say no more.

'All is fair in love and war and this is revolution'.


It Happened One Night. Well the lead character is called Ellen (Claudette Colbert), so it had to be good!

'We'll get on a merry-go-round and never get off. Promise me we'll never get off'. 


Roman Holiday. Just so innocent and sweet with the loveliest of actors. Unfortunately my Grandad called halfway through me watching this for the first time, and told me the ending but it still didn't spoil my enjoyment!

Hepburn: May I have a silk nightgown with ROSEbuds on it?
Peck: I'm afraid you'll have to rough it tonight... in these..
Hepburn: Pajaaaamas!!



The 39 steps. Just unbeatable perfect 1930s style.

Hannay: Beautiful mysterious woman pursued by gunmen. Sounds like a spy story.
Smith: That's exactly what it is.

No comments: