Day at the beach

Wednesday 19 August 2009

There might not have been so many sunny days at an English beach this year, so for me our Anzu Day at the beach candle has been perfect so I can at least attempt to remember what it's like to walk along the beach in the summer with the fresh sea air!


I first thought about doing candles when I walked along this beach - St. Merryn bay in Cornwall where my friend and I go to stay at her great auntie's cottage each year. It's so beautiful with the wild grasses and clover and the freshly scented air that I thought how lovely it would be to have that scent in a candle and to launch a quintessentially English range of candles.

This Summer hasn't been so kind though, so I thought I'd post a couple of Riviera photos, where the Summer is rather warmer.


I love the palette of bright yellow and turquoise in these Amanda Pratt photographs and I used a watered down version of this palette for my Day at the beach paintings. I think these photographs are stunning and they just encapsulate perfect lazy Summer days spent with friends.


The picture below is so funny I think and by one of my favourite photographers Jacques Henri Lartigue.

1 comment:

Di Overton said...

Great idea. I need a long hot summer candle. What happened to our bbq summer then :(