British Style Genius

Tuesday 28 October 2008



I am really enjoying the British Style genius series. It is inspiring and entertaining and I won't be missing tonight's episode on bbc2 at 9. If you've missed the earlier ones, don't worry you can watch them on www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer or have a look at the website www.bbc.co.uk/britishstylegenius/ The last one looked at the rebel and covered the designers Alexander McQueen, John Galliano (Dior) and Vivienne Westwood. I find all of them completely inspiring.


I love Alexander McQueen's tailoring. For his breathtaking Autumn/Winter collection this year(see 2 photos above) McQueen looked to the Raj and Coronation regalia.

Dior in Vogue

I think John Galliano is the master of colour, I love his painterly approach.

For me, Galliano seems to look at the Orient more for his inspiration, although for one collection he was inspired by Princess Margaret!

A Cecil Beaton photograph of Princess Margaret

I have been coveting Vivienne Westwood's Sex pistols t-shirt designs in my vintage t-shirt book recently.




I always find what Westwood has to say thought provoking and it is amazing to think she was at the forefront of both the punk and the new romantic looks.

Tonight's episode focuses on the country look, so I imagine it's going to look pretty much like this. Judging from the surprising amount of wellington boots I've seen lately, and no this is not on the Yorkshire moors but in Notting Hill, it probably won't be long before this bag from Saskia Marcotti is everywhere too!

Images courtesy of Vogue.co.uk

1 comment:

hmstrjam said...

love all of these