Cecil court

Friday 24 October 2008



Today amazingly enough for me I actually went out early to have breakfast (a full English one) at the restaurant in St. Martin's Hotel. I like it because it is modern, but has lots of books and odd pre-war scientific instruments around, which remind me of my childhood home.


Cecil court, otherwise known as Booksellers' Row is a pretty Victorian street, which has lots of antiquarian print and book shops and has appeared in several films including Miss Potter. The street had existed before Victorian times, but was burnt to the ground when a certain Mrs Colloway, who was running a brandy shop/brothel purchased kindling, emptied her brandy barrels and set fire to her heavily insured stock!


I wanted to look for any prints they might have on Victorian explorers for a painting idea I have, but unfortunately they didn't have anything on those lines. I had also told myself I wasn't going to buy anything, but couldn't resist this picture below - I've put him on guard by my front door.

No comments: