Absinthe depot Berlin

Wednesday 30 September 2009



I love the look of this Absinthe shop/bar in Berlin (see http://absinth-berlin.de/ ) I'm not sure I'm up to drinking such a hard drink as Absinthe, but I love the style of this place - like stepping back in time. Selling over 100 Absinthes and offering tasting evenings it promises a night not to be forgotten!


Absinthe or la Fee verte (green Fairy) as it was also known has such an interesting history I think. It was the toast of Paris society in the 1890s, a favourite drink in the Moulin Rouge and of intellectuals and artists who believed it convoked the muses. It was drunk by Degas, Picasso, and Toulouse-Lautrec who never left home with a supply of it in his walking stick!


Not only were many great paintings done on the topic, but I also love the posters that were created to sell it.


No comments: