Frangipani

Wednesday 16 January 2008



I love frangipani - the blossom has the elegant simplicity of a Chanel camellia, but yet just instantly makes you think of tropical beaches. I can't think why it doesn't appear more often as a motif on things and I might start using it in my paintings. In Polynesia, they wear it to denote someone's marital status. Wearing it tucked behind the right ear means they are single, and over the left means they are taken. In India, it is known by the name temple flower and the flowers which a member of my family gave me in Chennai were much smaller but had the most intoxicating fragrance.
The photo above was taken in Sri Lanka. The hotel had a bowl of water for you to cleanse the sand from your feet, and in which they floated frangipani - heavenly.

No comments: